With temperatures plummeting and the wind chill expected to make it feel like below zero degrees, Southampton Town has opted to open three warming centers, starting Wednesday morning at 8.
According to a town statement, all of the centers are open to residents without adequate heat.
The centers will remain open until 4 p.m. on Wednesday and reopen on Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The centers are as follows:
• Flanders Community Center – 655 Flanders Road, Flanders
• Hampton Bays Senior Center – 25 Ponquogue Avenue, Hampton Bays
• Bridgehampton Community Center – 585 Sag Harbor Turnpike, Bridgehampton
The town also offered the following tips to keep warm:
- Wear a hat, hood, or scarf, as most heat is lost through the head.
- Wear layers, as they provide better insulation and warmth.
- Keep fingertips, ear lobes, and noses covered if you go outside.
- Keep clothing dry; if a layer becomes wet, remove it.
- Drinking alcohol can be dangerous: Alcohol does not make you warmer and drinking alcohol when outside in the cold weather is dangerous: It increases one’s risk for hypothermia and frostbite.
For more information on the town's warming centers, call 631-728-1235.