On April 22, the was one of four to be recognized for preservation efforts by the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities.
According to a release sent to the media, Southampton was specifically honored for accomplishments made by the Landmarks and Historic Districts Board in 2011.
Of the honor, Councilwoman Bridget Fleming said, "This represents the tremendous efforts that have been put forth by the town staff members and volunteers to preserve the rich heritage, sites and structures that make Southampton such a distinct and historic area to live and visit."
• Establishment of a Landmarks maintenance program
• The creation of historic districts
• Stronger demolition procedures
• The creation of an outreach program, called, "The State of Historic Preservation"
• Created an online Historic Resources Map
• Continued to compile Hamlet Heritage Area Reports
• Designated the town's 12 landmark