According to Jim Morgo, spokesman for the developers of the controversial project, Gregg and Mitchell Rechler, an adjournment request has been sent to the Town of Southampton.
He said, "We have heard a great deal from the community and from the town board, but before we go any further, we want to process what we have heard and evaluate it."
He could not say if the developers plan to tweak or change their proposal in anyway.
"They have a lot to look at and respond to," he said.
Tuesday's hearing was expected to be a continuation of August and September hearings in which numerous residents stood to speak both in opposition and in support of the project.
Those in support claim the project will be a boon to the economy, while those in opposition argue that the proposed septic system is too close to neighboring residences; that the project will impact the environment detrimentally; and that it will prevent the public from enjoying one of Hampton Bay's waterfronts.
Already, Tiderunners restaurant, which sits in the middle of the proposed development, closed its doors last month despite a petition urging that the popular spot be saved.
The Rechler's project specifically calls for 40 townhouses, an amenity building, a pool, a private marina and a sewage treatment system on 7.2-acres of canal property they own across from Canoe Place Inn.
The Rechlers said that they also plan to restore the historic Canoe Plan Inn building to its former glory complete with a catering facility, 200-seat restaurant with bar area, and 20 units for overnight accommodations.
It is expected that the town board will reschedule the hearing for Nov. 26 at 6 p.m.
Patch wants to know: Do you think the developers should amend their proposal? If yes, how? Comment below.
- Residents Decry Canoe Place Inn Proposal; Developers Propose New Scenario
- Community Groups Rescind Support for Canoe Place in Proposal