Crimes and suspicious incidents recently reported to the Southampton Town Police Department:
• An East Quogue gas station manager reported on March 21 that around 7 p.m., a man with Texas license plates scammed him of nearly $80 in gas. According to Southampton Police reports, a man told the clerk he had a house account under the name Prestige Landscaping. However after checking their records, the manager found that no such account existed. The case is being investigated as a petty larceny.
• An East Quogue woman reported on March 26 that someone entered her home without permission and stole her daughter’s school laptop and Kindle. According to reports, the woman was at work while her daughter was at her father’s house and her daughter came home to find the items missing. Police suspect someone could have entered through an unlocked bathroom window
• An Eastport man reported that around 11:30 p.m. on March 23, he saw three young men spray painting a cement barrier that prevents traffic from Pleasant Valley Road onto the railroad tracks. When he started to approach them, he said, the three fled, and upon approaching the barrier, the man reported that what looks to be the letters “KKK” were written. No other graffiti was found in the area, and residents in the area reportedly told police that they had no issues with anyone that might be involved in the incident. The case remains open.
• A Hampton Bays woman reported on March 21 that someone had accessed her computer remotely, making unauthorized charges from her PayPal account in the amounts of $2, $56, and $151. Police are investigating the incident as identity theft and computer trespass.
• A Hampton Bays couple reported that someone broke the real estate lockbox on their front door and proceeded to take a key from it and burglarize the home.
Police reports state that an 18-karat bracelet, and 18-karat ring – valued at a combined $32,000 – and $1,600 in electronics were taken from the home. The home is reportedly for rent, and numerous Realtors have access to the property.