.

Fire Marshal: Atlantic Avenue Fire Caused by AC Unit

Firefighters responded to the fire on Sept. 19

The Southampton Fire Marshal's office has determined the cause of a fire that broke out on Atlantic Avenue in Hampton Bays on Sept. 19.

According to Fire Marshal Brian Williams, the fire started due to a faulty window AC unit.

"The unit failed," said Williams, "Most likely because of its age."

Williams said that his office was unable to determine the exact age of the unit, but the homeowners reported that they had owned it for six years, but it was given to them used.

The Hampton Bays Fire Department was called to the fire around 11:30 p.m and by 11:40 smoke was visible from the home, but the flames had been extinguished. There were no injuries reported.

Related reading:

Fire Breaks Out on Atlantic Avenue in Hampton Bays

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »