Updated: An oil candle may have caused a fire at 35 Quaquanantuck Lane in Quogue on Friday night, according to Sgt. Thomas Mullen of the
Through speaking with the homeowner, Mullen says it was determined that the fire, which was called in at 9:50 p.m., started when an oil candle fell onto a couch.
The Southampton fire marshal's office is investigating the incident," said Mullen.
Responding to the scene was the , , Eastport Fire Department and the .
Three occupants who were in the home at the time of the fire managed to get out of the home safely; however, Mullen said two people watching the events unfold fell on the icy street and had to be taken to the hospital.
"They didn't realize the road was wet and that it had turned to ice," Mullen said. "They fell when they got out of their cars."
Also treated was one firefighter for smoke inhalation," said Quogue Fire Chief Timothy Shea.
Firefighters were on the scene for about three hours, said Shea, but the fire was put out within an hour and a half.
On Saturday morning, the home was being secured with boards of wood.
Previously: The responded to a house fire at 35 Quaquanantuck Lane in Quogue, at around 10 p.m., according to .
At 10:50 p.m., according to police chatter, the was called to the scene, possibly to aid someone who fell on ice. The was also reportedly called in as a Rapid Intervention Team and the Eastport Fire Department as a standby team.
All units were reportedly home by midnight.