It's that time of year again: We tie up loose ends and reflect on the past year, and look ahead to the new year, hopefully with a sense of optimism that will pave the way for great things for you and your loved ones. And let's not forget the longstanding idea of making a "New Year's resolution."
Do you need help thinking of a resolution to make in 2013? Here are a few ideas.
1. Shop local to help the local economy flourish. Nothing means more to a mom-and-pop shop than customers who check in at their stores first before heading to a big box or chain store. Westhampton Beach and Hampton Bays are home to dozens of great mom-and-pop shops from which to choose. To find a list of local businesses, visit our directory here.
2. Contribute to a cause. Getting involved in a charitable effort will not only help a greater good but it can also lift your spirits. Here is a list of area charitable organizations.
3. If you've never attended an event one of the area's three libraries, Westhampton Free, Hampton Bays or Quogue, it might be a good year to start exploring all they have to offer, from children's programs to excerise classes. Find some of their happenings in our calendar here.
4. Get involved in the community by attending a meeting of a local civic organization or CAC. Just recently the Hampton Bays CAC voted in new leadership and is looking for new members to help make a difference in the community. Find out more here.
5. Get more involved with Westhampton-Hampton Bays Patch. You can do things like share your own news with the community by posting an announcement, add your event to our calendar, become a blogger, become our friend on Facebook and Twitter, sign up for our newsletter, or drop us a note by e-mailing Erica.Jackson@Patch.com.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.