Fat blackberries are everywhere in late August and early September, first picked for jams, and then for pies, tarts, and in cakes like this one that has a cakelike bottom and crunchy buttery top. Serve it with vanilla ice cream, clotted cream, or whipped cream.
Blackberry-Almond Crumble Cake
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ground almonds, ground
- 6 oz. blackberries
1. To make the topping, in a small bowl, combine the butter, sugars, and cinnamon. Cool slightly, and then stir in the eggs. Set aside.
2. To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and dust with flour. Tap out excess.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the flour, salt, and milk. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle the almonds on top, and then arrange the blackberries over the almonds. Spoon the topping over the blackberries.4. Bake for 65-70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Release the sides of the pan. Slice and serve warm with the cream or ice cream.