The Southampton Trails Preservation Society released its schedule for February 2014. How about joining them on a hike?
• Sat., Feb. 1 – Trout Pond to the Paumanok Path. 10AM-Noon. Meet at the Trout Pond parking lot on Noyac Road across from Mill Road for a moderately paced 3.5 mile hike over streams from our aquifer and up to the moraine. Leader: Joe Lane, 631-725-3942.
• Sun., Feb. 2 – Tuckahoe Swamp Meander. 10AM-11:00. Meet on Millstone Lane off of Millstone Brook Road, Southampton. Easy paced, swampy, boggy 1 mile hike to look at new boardwalks funded by the Community Preservation Fund department of Southampton Town. Snow cancels. Leader: Susan Colledge, 631-484-3816.
• Sat., Feb. 8 – Tuckahoe Hill to Big Fresh Pond. 10AM-Noon. Meet on Sebonac Road east of Tuckahoe Road in Southampton. Moderately-paced, 3 miles of woods and swamp. Leader: Marilyn Kirkbright, 631-726-7503.
• Sun., Feb. 9 – Whiskey Hill Circuit. 10AM-11AM. Meet on Mill Path off Lopers Path (heading east), Bridgehampton. Moderately-paced 1.7 mile hike with ocean views from top of moraine with kettlehole ponds and an enormous glacial erratic along the way. Leader: Jean Dodds, 631-599-2391.
• Sat., Feb. 15 - Long Pond Greenbelt Journey. 10AM - Noon. Meet at Mashashamuet Park in Sag Harbor. Celebrate the Presidents Weekend with a moderately-paced 5.5 mile hike with spectacular views of Long Pond, Little Long Pond, and Crooked Pond. Rain or snow cancels. Leader: Bob Wolfram, 631-848-2255.
• Sun., Feb. 16 – Mulvihill Great Swamp Traverse. 9AM-11AM. Meet on Bridge Hill Lane and Brick Kiln Road (about 1/2 mile north of Scuttlehole Road), Sag Harbor. Vernal ponds, streams and remains of an old brick kiln await. Moderately-paced 4 mile hike, some hills.
Leader: Dai Dayton, 631-745-0689.
• Sat., Feb. 22 - Flander
Meet at the kiosk on Spinney Road on the south side of CR24 just east of Birch
Creek. See Owl Pond, Sears Pond and
Maple Swamp, the largest of its kind in the Pine Barrens. Moderately-paced 3.5 mile hike. Leader:
Jim Crawford. 631-369-2341.
• Sun., Feb. 22 – Horses On Trails (HOT) Ride. BYO Horse and helmet. Must be a member of STPS/HOT to participate due to insurance requirements. It's easy to join day of ride! Call for reservations and details on meeting place/time. Leader: Leslie Lowery, 631-603-8661
• Sun., Feb. 23 – Elliston Park Trek. 10AM-Noon. Meet at the Park entrance on Millstone Brook Road in Southampton for a moderately-paced 3 mile hike with views of Wolf Swamp and Big Fresh Pond. Leader: Howard Reisman, 631-283-5376.