If it’s fall it must be soup time! Try this colorful and flavorful soup made with roasted vegetables and topped with a snappy herb cream. The recipe comes by way of Adare Manor (Adare, Co. Limerick) and is featured in my newest cookbook, Flavors of Ireland, available in print and now on iTunes!Roasted Vegetable Soup with Herbed Cream
2 carrots, diced
2 parsnips, diced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small turnip, peeled and diced
6 tbsp. olive oil
4 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 leek (white part only), diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
6 cups vegetable stock or canned low-salt vegetable broth
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2/3 cup/150 ml heavy (whipping) cream
2 tbsp. minced fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil, and chives
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C.
2. In a large ovenproof dish, combine the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato and turnip. Toss to coat with the olive oil, and roast, stirring once or twice, for 18–20 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly browned.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, leek, celery, garlic, thyme, and rosemary, and cook, stirring frequently, for 6–8 minutes or until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
4. Add the roasted vegetables and stock or broth to the saucepan, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20–25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove thyme and rosemary sprigs and discard.
5. Working in batches, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Return to the saucepan and simmer until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In a medium bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Fold in the herbs.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into shallow bowls and put a spoonful of the herbed-cream on top.
For more recipies, click here.
Do you have a recipe to share? Post it the comment section below.