Sea scallops, quickly seared and then broiled, are delicious with a flavorful accompaniment like this tomato-butter-leek sauce. Serve them with boiled new potatoes for an elegant-but-easy summer meal. The recipe comes by way of Sheedy’s Country House Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare, Ireland, and is featured in my newest cookbook, , available in print and now on iTunes!
Seared Scallops with Tomato-Butter-Leek Sauce
2 tbsp. dry white wine
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. minced shallots
1 bay leaf
freshly ground pepper to taste
4 tbsp. heavy (whipping) cream
2 leeks (white part only), sliced
12 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 small tomatoes, diced
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lb. sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
2–3 leeks (white part only), washed and julienned
1. To make the sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the wine, vinegar, shallots, bay leaf, and pepper. Cook for 8–10 minutes or until reduced by half. Add the cream and leeks and cook for 3–5 minutes or until the leeks are nearly tender.
2. Whisk in the butter, one piece at a time, and stir until smooth. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2–3 minutes or until combined. Set aside and keep warm.
3. To make the scallops, preheat the broiler. In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp. of the butter. Add the scallops and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until opaque.
4. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and lemon zest and place under the broiler 4 inches from the heat source for 2–3 minutes or until the crumbs are lightly browned.
5. In a small saucepan, cook the leeks in salted boiling water for 1–2 minutes or until tender. Drain and add the remaining 1 tbsp. of butter.
6. To serve, divide the leeks among 4 plates. Divide the scallops over the leeks and spoon the sauce over the top.
Editor's Note: Margaret M. Johnson, of Westhampton Beach, is the author of six cookbooks and her latest cookbook called, Flavors of Ireland was released on Amazon on Feb. 23. For more information,click here.