Clever cooks have always used leftover chicken and vegetables to make a savory pie, but this recipe takes it one step further and adds leftover ham as well. You can make the pie in a family-sized casserole dish or in smaller ovenproof dishes. Serve this with a fresh green salad.
Chicken and Ham Pie
1 cup cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8–10 large white mushrooms, diced
1 cup cooked peas
1 cup cooked carrot slices
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted according to package directions
1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Generously grease a 2-quart ovenproof casserole dish or six ovenproof bowls. Put the chicken and ham into the dish(s). Scatter the mushrooms, peas, and carrots over the meat.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour, and then slowly whisk in the stock or broth. Bring to a boil and cook, whisking constantly, for 3–5 minutes or until thick and smooth. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables and let cool for about 15 minutes.
3. On a floured surface, gently roll out the dough to smooth the folds. Cut a piece to fit the top of the dish(s) and make slits in it to let out the steam as the pie bakes.
4. Brush some of the egg wash on the bottom side, cover the pie, and then brush the remaining egg wash on top. Press the dough down along the edge of the dish(s) to seal.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 15 minutes longer or until the top is browned and the mixture is bubbling. Serve immediately.
For more recipies, click here.
Editor's Note: Margaret M. Johnson, of Westhampton Beach, is the author of six cookbooks and her latest cookbook called, Flavors of Ireland was released on Amazon on Feb. 23. She will be on Saturday and on Sunday.