The following have been elected, according to President Susan Von Freddi:
Vice President: Madeline O'Keefe
Treasurer: Marianne Murphy
Directors: Charles Shields, Monica Freeman, Michael Daly and Jean Waters.
The 28-year-old Hampton Bays Beautification Committee "lends beauty to the scenic landscapes and provides pride to the lives of its members and the community," said von Freddi.
Some accomplishments include:
- The creation of the beautiful lighted medians on Route 24 and the Shinnecock Canal Gateway medians.
- The placement of the rock and anchor at the UA Theater Plaza.
- The bricking along Main Street and the placement of brick planters.
- The beautiful public art sculpture at the Parks and Recreation property on Newtown Road is enjoyed by all using the grounds and every boater passing by on the Shinnecock Canal.
- The benches and trees at the northern end of the Shinnecock Canal are enjoyed daily by many residents.
- The HBBA has placed almost 100 benches throughout town and at the inlet for all to enjoy.
- The HBBA planted hundreds of trees along Main Street and in our parks.
- The HBBA played a major role in the development of the new park and Pergola located on Main Street and the beautiful new Vince Cannuscio Trail behind the park dedicated last year.
Some ongoing projects are:
- The yearly purchase and maintaining of the 172 flowering hanging baskets downtown.
- Replanting and maintaining all of the medians including Good Ground Road medians and all the community Welcome Signs and garden areas.
- The HBBA sponsors one of the community garden plots at the Hampton Bays Middle School and donates all the fresh produce it grows to the local food pantry.
- The HBBA installed the sixty foot flagpole and gardens located on Rt. 24 and Montauk Highway and held contest to design a hamlet flag, which proudly hangs with our American flag and town flag.
- Every fall, our holiday committee gathers and places colorful banners along Main Street and each holiday season HBBA places decorative lights, trees and wreaths for all the community to enjoy.
- The HBBA sponsors the annual free “Concert Under the Stars” attended by thousands every August.
- With the help of the Parks Department and other Departments in the Town of Southampton, the HBBA is able to accomplish the monumental task of keeping our Hamlet looking pristine.